Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S



Quattroporte in Naples, Florida
    As soon as I saw the Maserati logo on the grille, I brought my camera to my eye and snapped a photo. I was eager to take the photo because I associate Maserati with luxury but when I looked back over my photos, I realized that this Maser isn't a particularly interesting or good-looking car. In fact,  it's downright dull.
     The car's overall shape is very simple, just a normal 4-door sedan. That shouldn't be an issue but the QP lacks any strong character lines, making it's bodywork appear plain. The only creases are a minor hood bulge, and a weak line that stretches from the uninspiring headlights to taillights so boring they make those headlights look exciting.
      Those headlights, which feature two xenon headlamps and a strip of LEDs, are set about a half a foot farther back than the grille. This makes the Maserati signature grille stick out, but because the grille is vertically flat the nose of the car looks like a pig's snout. Another Maserati design cue, the three ports just behind the front fenders, doesn't seem to fit on the QP. The ports give off a sense of sportiness, leading me to think the designers just stuck them on because the ports are on every Maserati car.
Quattroporte in Naples, Florida
     The only things I actually like about this car are the lower fascias, which are aggressive and clean while also making it so there is no blank space on the bumpers. Another small detail that I liked was the Maserati trident on the C-pillar, just behind the rear window. While this may seem insignificant, it adds a touch of luxury and elegance to the car, and is pretty unique.
     Brand image can be fooling. While the name "Maserati" makes me think of luxury, when I examined this Quattroporte I found that it is not a particularly elegant car.



Grade
Front: C
Back: D
Overall: D 

No comments:

Post a Comment