Saturday, August 24, 2013

2014 Cadillac CTS



CTS at NYIAS
  When I heard that the new Cadillac CTS would be shown at the 2013 New York International Auto Show I was very excited. But also a little scared. In the days preceding my visit to the show, I prayed that the Cadillac designers hadn't messed up one of my favorites-- I have three posters of the second generation CTS on my wall.
    Unfortunately, when I finally reached the Cadillac stand, I was disappointed.
     Its not that the new CTS is an ugly car. In fact it is quite stylish. But the previous incarnation had a unique--almost boxy, with hard edges yet still remarkably sleek--look, while the new version, with the angles toned down, lacks that powerful and luxurious vibe.
CTS at NYIAS
     The new CTS does take some strides forward. The headlights  retain the original vertical shape but they are more detailed, keeping in line with the Cadillac design language shown in the headlights of the XTS and ATS. I also love how the running light, while separate still follows the line made by the LED strip in the headlight. Another area where Cadillac succeeds was in the character lines, which remain strong and muscular. I particularly like the way the crease that stretches from the front side vents to the taillights separated the headlights from the grille, giving the hood its own distinctive shape.

CTS at NYIAS
Now let's focus on what went wrong. Starting at the front, the grille and other front vents have had the edges smoothed out, and have lost the subtle jagged look that made me fall in love with the previous CTS. Another huge problem is in the rear: the taillights are too smooth and remind me to much of the XTS's taillights, which led me to think the designer had become lazy and just cut and pasted the XTS taillights on.
Another thing that has gone awry is the brake light. On the previous generation, the V-shaped brake light acted as a spoiler while fitting in with the angular design of the car. Now the brake light has lost most of the V and is a lot less radical looking.
The previous generation Cadillac CTS coupe
      If somebody offered me a Cadillac CTS I'd still accept it, but I hope that Cadillac is able to find its way again in the next update to the CTS.


Grade
Front:A-
Back: C+
Overall: B+
 

No comments:

Post a Comment